Thursday, March 20, 2014
A tidy little argument suggesting (news flash ...) that the Bible is not the word of God
American Philosopher Jason Thibodeau has come up with what I consider to be a tidy little argument as to why we can be certain that the Bible (at least in its entirety) is not the word of God. Here it is:
(1) God [at least as conceived by Christians] is omnibenevolent.
(2) An omnibenevolent being despises genocide, slavery, murder, etc. Thus,
(3) An omnibenevolent being would never command genocide. Thus,
(4) An omnibenevolent being would not want himself to be depicted as commanding genocide.
(5) The Bible contains passages in which God is depicted as commanding genocide. Thus,
(6) An omnibenevolent being does not want to be associated with the Bible (or at least those texts in which he is depicted as commanding atrocities or approving of them). Thus,
(7) The Bible is not the word of God.
Looks air tight to me. Anyone out there care to disagree?